How to setup single and multiple POS profiles and the functionality within the POS.
To use the POS, you first need a POS Profile. A POS Profile is the collection of settings that your POS will use for creating orders including inventory locations and which products to display.
You can also choose to create multiple POS Profiles. This is useful if you have multiple locations or if you have multiple cash registers or tills that you want to keep segmented. Sales from each profile can be segmented and tracked separately in reporting. Our "Sales by POS Profile" report will let you know transactional volume for each profile/register.
In this article:
Learn more about switching the POS Profile on your POS here.
Setting Up Your POS Profile(s)
- To set up a POS Profile, navigate to Settings > POS Profiles
- Click the blue Add POS Profile button
- Add a Title
- If you have / will have multiple POS Profiles, you may select a color to color-code them. This color displays as a small border on the top left of the POS window. This will make for easy reference when staff are sharing a device and toggling between users.
- Check the box next to Mark as the default POS Profile if you want this profile to be used automatically when a new devices signs into the POS.
- Select Inventory locations for each type of order (If you don't have your inventory locations setup yet, click here for documentation on how to do this.)
- Carry Out Inventory - This will be the inventory location that gets depleted if a tasting room order is created, and the customer will be walking out with their purchase.
- Pick Up Inventory - This will be the inventory location that gets depleted when an online or club order is created, and the shipment option is set to pickup from this POS profile.
- Ship Inventory - This will be the inventory location that gets depleted when a tasting room order is created and the customer has opted to ship that order instead of carrying it out.
- Next, add product Collections that you want to show on your POS.
- Click the toggle for Tips if you want to accept tips on POS orders.
- If tips are enabled, you can set the tip percentages that will appear for customers. Customers will be able to select from these three options you set, or they will be able to select a "none" option or "custom" when presented with tipping choices. "Custom" will allow them to enter a dollar amount.
- The option to tip will appear on the POS after the payment type is selected and is designed so you could hand the device i.e. iPad to the customer to select a tip.
- If you are using an EMV device with Commerce7 Payments, you can choose if you want to "Display tip prompt on EMV device". (The tip options will be presented on the EMV device when you select to send the transaction to the device.) This is only an option with Fullsteam Payments, if you are using another device you can configure the options directly on the device.
- Under "Advanced", you can decide if you want to require Employee PIN Login for your tasting room staff.
- If you have multiple sales associates sharing a single POS device, you may want to enable pin's to allow them to easily switch between accounts in POS.
- If PINs are enabled, you can choose if you want to force a login via a PIN between orders or before order payment. (Learn more about setting up PINs for your staff, here.)
- Check off Open "Additional Order Info" before order payment 'More Info' modal before charge if you want to remind staff to fill out order info or your custom meta data on an order before it is charged. (For more information on order meta data and how it works, click here.)
- Lastly, you can set up any external hardware such as EMV devices and receipt printers
- For EMV devices, under the Chip & Pin Devices section, click Add Device then enter a Title and Terminal ID.
- To get the Terminal ID for your device, first configure the device in your payment gateway. Click Configure Device.
- Setting up your device:
- If you are use Stripe as the payment gateway you do not have to setup the devices on the POS Profile. Click here for the documentation.
- Add external printers under the Receipt Printers section. (More info here)
- By default, printers will use Cloud, but if you want to print locally for quicker printing, learn more about how to set up your printer here.
- Click Save and you're good to go!
Reporting on Sales By POS Profile
Once you have your POS profiles set up, you can run a sales by POS profile report. To do this, navigate to Reports > Order Reports > Sales by POS profile.
You can filter the report even further if you wish, as well as email the report out as a CSV file.