In this article:
- Manually creating products
- Duplicating existing products
- Creating products with our APIs
- Creating products using Zapier
- Types of products
If you don't have too many SKUs, it makes most sense to add them manually. If a new SKU is an updated vintage of an existing product, you should use our product duplicate feature. If you have a few dozen or few hundred SKUs to create in Commerce7, it might be best to use our API's. If you regularly add, remove, and change SKUs, it probably best to use Zapier.
Manually creating a product
For more in-depth instructions on how to fill out fields specific to each product type, see article links in the Product Types listed below.
- Under Store > Products, click Add Product
- Select the Type of product that you want to create
- After selecting the product type, you'll be brought to a new screen where you can enter all of your product information.
- The required fields that you'll need to complete are Title, Variant Title, SKU, Price, and Volume (if it's a wine product).
- Note: When creating a SKU, you'll want to make sure that your SKU code is unique. If you try to use a single code multiple times, you will get an error message indicating "SKU is not unique".
- If you are selling merchandise with different sizes/colours, we recommend adding small differentiators like -S, -M, -L to the end of your product SKUs to indicate sizes/colours.
- Click Save Product
Duplicating existing products
If you are looking to update a vintage on an existing product, an easier alternative to manually creating a new SKU would be to duplicate an existing SKU.
- Open up the specific product and at the top of the page click the Duplicate button
- All product properties will be identical to the original except for 3: Title, SKU, Slug. These 3 properties will have the word "duplicate" appended to the text.
- Any promotions or coupons associated with the original product will not be associated with the duplicate.
- You will immediately be brought to the new duplicate product page
- Make any changes, click Save Product, and you're done!
Creating products via our API's
If you have a few dozen or hundred products to create in Commerce7, you can save time by creating products using our API's.
If you're comfortable doing this on your own, here is our API documentation -https://api-docs.commerce7.com/docs. If you run into questions while creating products via the API's, email email@example.com.
If you are not a developer, and are not comfortable importing on your own using our API's - there are a number of 3rd party developers we'd recommend you work with. You can find them here - https://commerce7.com/partners/developers.
Adding, deleting, and updating products via Zapier
If you regularly add, remove, and update a large number of products, it may be helpful to integrate with Zapier. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance setting up this integration.
Types of products
- Wine: This product type includes wine related default product attributes for your bottles of wine. Learn more about creating wine products
- Tasting: This type is used to set up your tasting SKUs and also includes wine related product attributes. Learn more about creating tasting products
- General Merchandise: Used to set up products that do not have wine attributes, such as food or merchandise. Learn more about creating general merchandise products
- Bundle: A grouping of SKUs. Learn more about creating bundles
- Gift Card: Can be a virtual or physical gift card. Learn more about creating gift cards
- Collateral Product: Allows for a zero dollar piece of collateral to be added to an order or club shipment. For example create a Collateral product for a newsletter for orders or club packages if your fulfillment company can't dynamically inject a newsletter. Learn more about creating collateral products
- Rebate Product: Allows for a negative priced product that can be used as a rebate or credit on the POS or admin panel.
For example if you are booking reservations and the customer pays in advance, but you give a refund at the winery if they purchase product, then a rebate product can be used to handle this refund. Learn more about creating rebate products
- **Event Tickets: Has event specific fields such as date and time. Once purchased, a barcode is generated for each customer and customers can be checked-in through a new Event Tickets page. **This product type appears once you enable the Commerce7 Event Ticket app under Apps & Extensions. Learn more about event tickets here
Editing Product Types:
When editing products, if the product type is Wine, General Merchandise, or Tasting, you will have the ability to change the product type.
Note: It's not possible to change the product type for Bundles, Gift Cards, Event Tickets, and Reservations.