If you have data from another system that you need to import into Commerce, you're in the right place. Since Commerce7 doesn't have import tools built-in, you'll need to contact a data migration specialist to get this process started. Learn more about what to expect about the process and how to get started.
In this article:
How data is migrated
Since we don't have import tools built-in, you won't be able to bulk import your information on your own; you'll need the help of a developer to migrate your data via APIs. You can definitely add most information manually, but it will just take some time unless you only have a small amount.
A couple of things that you won't be able to move manually are your history of past orders and customer credit cards (while you can manually add a credit card number, you typically won't have access to the full credit card number from your old system for security purposes).
The migration process
Shortly after signing up with Commerce7, if you have data to import, you'll want to start this process as soon as possible so that it doesn't delay your launch date. While the list of items that you need to import may change based on your specific needs, the following information is commonly imported into Commerce7 in this order.
- Products - Before these are imported, you'll likely want to set up product Departments and Collections within Commerce7. If you set them up beforehand, this will allow you to have them applied automatically to your products during the import. Otherwise, after they're added into Commerce7, you'd need to go through one-by-one and apply the fields manually.
- Customers - Import your customers and their personal information such as shipping addresses. We recommend setting up Customer Tags or Customer Meta Data beforehand. These are custom fields that be used to retain extra info about your customers. After they've been created in Commerce7, they can be included with your import.
- Order history - Import past orders into Commerce7 so that you have your customer's history of purchases for marketing purposes and Life Time Value. We recommend migrating the last 5 hours of purchase history as this is the most relevant to seeing customer's most recent activity.
- Credit cards - This one requires a little more coordination. You'll need to organize a specific date to export credit cards from your current system, tokenize them, and then migrate to Commerce7.
- Club memberships - Create memberships for your existing wine club members. Before this step, you'll first need to create your wine clubs. Learn more here.
Choosing a partner
Data is all migrated through APIs. If you already have a partner who is able to help, they can view our full API documentation here.
If you don't have a partner yet, while Commerce7 doesn't perform data migration internally, we have a number of partners that do. You can find a list of our data migration partners here or you can reach out to email@example.com for a recommendation based on your specific needs.
When reaching out, you'll want to confirm that they can migrate all of the information that you want moved over and that their timeline matches up with how quickly you want to go live with Commerce.